Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tigger's Tale, or should I say, Tail!


Tigger somehow had gotten the tip of his tail dipped into the Scentsy wickless candle and had wax harden on his tail. For the life of me I didn't know what to do to get the wax off his tail... try holding him down and use a hair dryer to make it warm and plyable? I don't think so... he is declawed in front, but still has pretty sharp claws in back... I know as I was gouged a few times while trying to tape a bandaid all down his tail.
The wax was on a week before he started gnawing the wax off, problem is... he didn't stop at the wax. I don't know if it burned him or was itching, but he kept gnawing at his tail until he had gnawed down to the bone. I would hear him growling at his tail. I can't count the number of times I had wrapped his tail in gauze and tape to keep him from gnawing, but he had somehow gotten it off.
After a couple of days it got so bad that he was down to the bone. I took him to the vet to have a look at it. He had to have a good 4 inches amputed from his tail. The vet said they get a lot of tail amputations, but this was their first one because of wax! The next day, and $250.00 later, I was able to bring him back home. He did not like the long tape on his tail. He kept trying to get it off, but the tape was on there good. It actually took him a whole week to get the thing off his tail.
On his check up, he had gotten the bandaid off the day before, it looked to be healing pretty well. The vet retaped it and said his fur on his tail will fill in nicely (which a year later, it has and looks okay!) The bandaid needed to stay on at least another week.
He has healed fine, and can still swak ya with his tail in the face or across your arm, depending on where he is sitting. It actually hurts more since it is a little thicker!
A closer look at the end of Tigger's Tail. Pretty weird looking, huh?







So Tigger's tail is getting better here. It looked kind of silly at the time, and tookTigger a bit to get used to it. He still glares at it as if it is a foreign object, or growls at it occasionally, but at least it is healing well. And that is the end of the Tale.....

No comments: