Monday, June 7, 2010

Scott's long walk home

Some time mid Feb, 2010, Scott had been acting a little off. I watched him for a bit in the morning, and then went to a meeting for work. I was only gone an hour. When I got back, Tiffany said that "dad" kept asking where Kaydee was. When Tiff told him she was at school, he replied, "She is just a baby, she can't go to school yet!" This conversation apparently had been repeated quite a few times within a short period of time.  He seemed a little confused and off balance as well.

I got home and Tiffany had told me what had happened, so I decided to take Scott to Utah Valley to get checked. It seems that he may have had some mini strokes. He was having a hard time standing up without losing his balance, and his left side of his face seemed to be a little droopy.

We were at Utah Valley for about 4 hours when Scott lost his patience and was tired of waiting for the results. He was irritated as he could see a couple orderlies sitting at the nurse's station, just talking and he was hungry, and wanted to go home. He threatened that he was going to just walk out.

I went out to find a nurse, and told her that Scott was getting antsy, and since his strokes previously, he was hard to reason with. I asked if they could give him Adivan or something to help calm him down. I never saw the nurse again.... 

About 15 minutes later, Scott gets up and walks out of the room. I went out and found another nurse and explained what had occurred. By then they had the results of his MRI. It appeared there was no new signs that showed up at that time, however, I did notice and learn that there are silver bodies in the dura matter of his brain, and is indicative of Pick's Disease. I had never heard of that before. It is a degenerative disease like Alzheimer's, with no known cure... Life expectency is between 4 - 10 years. It is a form of Dimentia.

Well, I left the ER area, and expected to see Scott sitting in the waiting area for me, but nope, he wasn't there. I was getting frustrated... 

Oh by the way, I was on crutches because I had bruised my knee bone a few days before and was supposed to stay off my leg! Yeah, right!

So I hobbled out to the parking lot, and of course it had been full, so we were parked in pergatory, near the road. When I got to the car, no Scott! I tossed the crutches into the back seat of the car and shut the door, and hobbled back to the ER. I had them check to make sure he hadn't just walked out of the room, and was circling the ER area. Of course, he wasn't there. Someone said they had seen him out by the helipad. That sounded like Scott!

I was panicking now.  I had no idea where to start looking for him! I went out to the car, and drove past the parking area with the helipad, then down around the parking areas of the hospital. 

I called my daughter next. I was so panicked! I told her, "I need you now!" Poor Tiffany got upset and said, "What happened? Did Dad die?"  "No!" I said.... "If he had, at least I would know where he is!" I then told her what had happened. She called my sons, and then got in her car to come down and help look for him.


I know he still has his sense of direction, and knows where he is, but I was afraid he might get hit by a car from not paying attention, or get mugged. It is hard to rationalize and think logically when we are dealing with Scott!

We called the Provo Police, and they came to the hospital and did a report. This way they could keep a look out for him, and if he did anything stupid, they would know he is not right in the mind.


Tiffany, Jon and Bri with kids, and Spence and Renee with kids appeared and we each took an area to search. Tiff had also called my parents, who also joined in the man hunt. After two long hours of not finding anything, we decided to go home to wait and see if he would show up. There was nothing more we could do!

Mom and Dad came over a few minutes after I got home. I had looked up "Pick's Disease" and sure enough, a lot of the symptoms sounds exactly like Scott. Hoo Boy, it is going to get even more crazy! 


We were sitting in the Living Room when the door opens, and in walks Scott..... No coat on, mid Feb. and still a bit chilly, and with the IV needle still in his arm! He had walked all the way home from Provo to Orem, which is about a 10 mile walk! He stopped along the way at Shopko so he could warm up a little bit. But he had walked the back way, and I don't know why, and it had occurred to me to check that way, but I didn't.

His first words out of his mouth when he walked in were "Well, ya got any plans for dinner?" I couldn't believe it! I told him, "Well, ya moron.... You could have eaten a few hours ago, if everyone wasn't out looking for your sorry butt!" I was glad to see him safe, but oh .... so mad at him!

Mom looked at me and had noticed what I noticed when Scott spoke... I don't know why it didn't show, but Scott's mouth still drooped a little on the left side.

I got him fed, after we took the IV needle out of his arm, and then he decided he was pretty worn out from his adventures.... and he slept all night and most of the next day. He complained the next day when he got up that his hips hurt from all that walking.... 

After a few days, he seemed to be a bit better and not as confused.  I think it was a mini stroke... but unfortunately they don't always show up till a couple days after the fact.

I tell ya, he is going to be the death of me yet!

No comments: