Tuesday, May 11, 2010


So I received a phone call on my cell phone from Scott about 11:45 PM. I was at work at the time. Scott was complaining that his stomach hurt and he had the runs. Well.... he almost always has the runs so I wasn't in too much of a hurry, and as I was sooo tired already I dreaded the thought of having to sit on a very uncomfortable chair for who knows how long for the hospital to give Scott an IV and send him home.


I left work early, and quietly snuck (is that even a word?) into the house. It was all quiet, so I sat at my computer hoping Scott had fallen asleep and would feel better soon. I had already been at work for about 6 hours and just wanted to relax and then go to bed. No such luck! About 10 minutes after I got home, Scott came down stairs..... I swear he has a sensor that tells him when I get home....


We ended up going to the ER and much to my disappointment they kept Scott there for about 6 hours on an IV. He had developed an infection and his white blood cell count was elevated. We were waiting for the larger hospital to call back with an empty room before they released us to go to the other hospital.


So.... at 6:00 AM I drive Scott to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. I stayed with him until about 2:30 PM when I could hardly keep my eyes open any longer. I told Scott I was going home to take a nap and clean up a little and I would come back to see him a bit later.


This was Valentine's Day, so much for going to dinner or a movie..... but I actually enjoyed the quiet for a bit. Well, I thought I would enjoy the quiet... but like an idiot and not thinking very well, I left my cell phone number on the white board in Scott's room for the nurse to call if they needed. Instead what a got was a phone call from Scott about every half hour, telling me to bring his lap top and a book for him. Same conversation repeated each time...


The only variance was when he called and yelled at me for just leaving him and not saying goodbye or giving him a kiss before I left! I told him I did give him a kiss and told him I was going home for a bit since I had worked all night long, and that I had just talked to him half hour ago, and every half hour before that, too! He hung up on me!


Half hour later the phone rings, and it is Scott, forgetting the conversation we had half hour before where he had yelled at me... This was an on going thing all night long! I actually had to turn my cell phone off.


Well he was released the next day... needless to say I did not go back the night before with the laptop or book.... I was so tired and couldnt keep my eyes open enough to go back, add to that it had snowed pretty hard all day. Tired plus snow and icy roads = not a good combination.


I learned a very important lesson that day, though... The next time I will NOT put my cell phone number on the white board or where he can see it, but only in his folder!

No comments: